Sunday, September 1, 2013

Deal with it ~ Don't wait!

When I got back from Denver with my sweet girl I found that so many things around my house looked really good, but our pool (an above ground one) was nasty! Since school has started and the kids aren't home most of the time it was easy to think about putting the cover on the pool and call it a season. Yes, we would still have to clean it and deal with the nastiness, but if we covered it we could put off dealing with it for a long time.

Ultimately I decided it needed to be cleaned now. As I was cleaning it (it took a couple of hours) I had a lot of time to think. I started to think about how easy it is to do that in our own lives. We cover up, hide, put on the back burner, whatever you want to say...Basically we wait to deal with the yucky stuff in life because it seems so much easier at the time.

I'm here to tell you it isn't easier to ignore the pain or the nastiness in your life. Sure, you can pretend for a while that it isn't there, but at some point you are going to have to deal with it, and the longer you wait the harder it will be (yes, I've been there, I know)! If you wait to deal with a problem, the problem doesn't get better, or smaller, it tends to get bigger and nastier. 

My encouragement to both you and myself is to deal with things. Get it out in the open, get help, seek counseling if necessary! Holding painful secrets is not only excruciatingly hard, it also keeps you from the freedom you could know from the healing that is available to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment