- There are approximately 400, 000 registered sex offenders in the US alone.
- Convicted rapists report that two-thirds of their victims were under 18 and 58% of those said their victims were age 12 or under.
- In 1994 only one third of the victims said that they reported being raped to a law enforcement agency.
- In 90% of the rapes of children under 12 years old, the offender knew the victim.
- 8 out of 10 rapists are released prior to trial.
- 61% of violent sex offenders have a prior record.
- 8 out of 10 sex assaulters reported that their victim was under 18. The median age of victims of imprisoned sex offenders was 13 years old.
- 24% of those serving time for rape and 19% of the ones serving time for sex assault were on probation at the time of arrest for rape or sexual assault.
- 28% of released rapists were rearrested within 3 years and charged for a new violent crime.
- 8 % of those are charged with another rape.
- Released rapists were found to be 10.5 times as likely as non-rapists to be rearrested for rape and those who served time are found to be 7.5 times as likely as those convicted of other crimes to be rearrested for a new sexual assault.
- The typical child sex offender molests an average
of 117 children, most of who do not report the offence.
Source: National Institute of Mental Health, 1988.
- About 60% of the male survivors sampled report at
least one of their perpetrators to be female.
Source: Mendel, 1993.
- About 95% of victims know their perpetrators.
Source: CCPCA, 1992.