Thursday, June 7, 2012

Changing the Way I Think

The very first series that we heard when we started attending our new church was one titled "Think four:eight". This series was so well timed in my life and revolutionized the way that I thought. The whole series revolved on how to apply Philippians 4:8 to your life.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

I found myself going over the notes from this old series today. I have done this occasionally in the last 2 years when I need a reminder of how to change my thought processes. Over the next couple of days I'll share a couple of the things that still stand out to me when I read over the notes.

~ Your thoughts are powerful...
~ It's your choice what you choose to dwell on.
     ~ In life there will always be some junk and some greatness
     ~ Your future is not determined by your past
     ~ Where do you dwell? (on the good or bad)
~ There are Three Laws that can guard our minds and change our hearts....and give us emotional strength
     ~ The Law of Attention - Whatever you emphasize increasingly becomes what you are
     ~ The Law of Exchange - you can do away with a negative thought only when you replace it with a positive
     ~ The Law of Reversibility - act like you are.

Our Pastor challenged us with something during that series that I needed to be challenged with again today... "Beginning today, commit to increase your potential for starving worry, fear and doubt and other negative thoughts and commit to nourishing your mind, attention and conversation by imitating Christ's."

My goal is to think on whatever is true, right, pure, holy, etc... especially as we as a family prepare for our youngest daughter's surgery next week.

1 comment: